Back To Results
Kinsale : 31 Vs Old Cresent : 24
Youths U18 Munster Plate ...  Round 5 @ Snugmore on Saturday 25 January 2020

Today, Kinsale u18.5s played their 5th game in the Munster Plate having won 3 and lost 1 to date. Old Crescent who made the journey to Kinsale had won 1 and lost 3 previously. Kinsale needed a win to give them a chance of a home Quarter Final and got the perfect start as pressure from the opening kick-off resulted in a knock on from the visitors and from the scrum, Kinsale quickly spread the ball to the wing and crossed the line via Leon Buckley for their first try. Ruaidhrí McCarthy failed to convert from the side line. Old Crescent responded quickly and levelled the score 4 minutes later. 5-5. Kinsale took the lead again 5 minutes later and some good pressure on the Old Crescent backs and after a number of phases Caolan Walsh was helped across the line to make it 10-5. McCarthy converted to make it 12-5. This game was a physical game with very little between both sides. Kinsale were the next to score in the final minute of the game through Evan O’Riordan who broke with the ball from the back of the scrum. The last piece of action in the first half was the conversion kick from McCarthy to make it 19-5 for the home side.

The visitors were the quickest out of the blocks in the second half and scored their second try within 3 minutes with a forceful run from half way. The conversion made it 19-12. Old Crescent were now on the front foot and kept the pressure on the Kinsale side. 5 minutes later and the visitors levelled up the score as they blocked down a clearance kick to get a try which was converted. It was anybodys game at this stage. Kinsale took the lead again after some quick thinking from Jordan Wright with a tap and go saw him touch down to make it 24-19. Evan Wrenne failed to increase the lead with conversion. Both teams increased their intensity and some hard tackles were put in on both sides. 13 minutes later and Kinsale stretched their lead to 29-19 with another Wright try. This time Wrenne’s kick split the posts to make it 31-19. The visitors did not give up and 4 minutes later rang in another try from the halfway line with a break from the scrum to make it 31-24. The missed conversion meant the visitors needed a converted try to get something from their closely contested match. However, time ran out as the home side took all the points which put them into the Quarter Finals of the Munster Plate. A great win in a very tough physical game.

With one remaining game, Kinsale are currently in place to get a home Quarter Final but it will go down to their last game away to league leaders Shannon-St Marys next weekend. A draw/win would see them get a home quarter final which a defeat would mean it would be down to Bantrys results. They have a few games in hand and if they were to win their remaining games they would get the home Quarter Final spot.

After the game Kinsale coach, Denis “Puppet” Collins, stated "Our attack was accurate today but our defense wasn't up to scratch. We conceded soft tries but got the result in the end. We look forward to Shannon away next Sunday in the last group game."