Back To Results
Kinsale : 12 Vs Newcaste West/Estuary : 0
Youths U18 Munster Plate ...  Round 4 @ Snugmore on Sunday 12 January 2020

Earlier today Kinsale RFC u18.5s played Newcastlewest-Estuary in their 4th game of the Munster U18 Plate. Kinsale had 2 wins and 1 defeat to their name while the visitors had 1 win and 1 defeat to their name.

Kinsale kicked off and immediately put Newcastewest under pressure and kept the visitors in their own half. Kinsale kept things tight and used their forwards well while the visitors were trying to spread the balls wide and exploit the home team on the wings. It was Kinsale who made the first break through via Cian Barry who touched down in the corner after 12 minutes. The kick was just too far out for scrum half Evan Wrenne. 5-0 to the home team. Both teams began to throw everything at it and even though Kinsale had most of the possession they could not add to their tally and some of their kicks just handed possession back to the visitors. Newcastlewest also got close to the line on a number of occasions, but the Kinsale defense held them out. It was a physical battle between two evenly matched sides. Half time score was 5-0.

Both sides re-grouped at half time and it was their visitors who came out the stronger and put the home team on the back foot from the off. Newcastlewest threw everything they had to their attacks and mixed up their play well. However this stubborn Kinsale team stuck together well and kept them out with some great defensive team play. On a number of occasions Newcastlewest got to the try line but Kinsale either cleared or the ball was held up. The only score of the 2nd half came after 21 minutes when Kinsale broke from deep and and after a number of phases close to the visitors line, Caolan Walsh managed to touch down. Ruadhrí McCarthy converted to give the home side a 12-0 lead. That was the only time Kinsale got close to the visitors line in the second half and they made it count. Newcastlewest didn't fall apart and continued to attack the Kinsale line but a resolute defense kept them at bay. The home side celebrated a tough win when the referee's whistle was blown.

Post match Denis "Puppet" Collins stated "We needed to front up defensively today which the lads did. It was a physical encounter but we were clinical in attack and that was the difference."

Well done to all involved. Kinsale pulled off a smashing win literally.