Back To Results
Kinsale : 36 Vs Fermoy : 29
Youths U18 Munster Plate ...  Round 3 @ Fermoy on Saturday 4 January 2020

Kinsale u18.5s travelled to play Fermoy in their 3rd game of the Munster Plate. Having won 1 and lost 1, Kinsale needed the win to stay in contention for the knock out phases. Fermoy had played 1 and lost 1 and also needed the win.
Kinsale started the game strongly and were rewarded for their efforts 4 minutes in when Caolan Walsh touched down to make it 0-5 to the visitors. Ruadhrí McCarthy was successful with the conversion to make it 0-7. Fermoy regroups and began to push pressure on Kinsale and after 9 minutes scored their first try after a few mistakes from Kinsale when trying to clear the ball. Their conversion made it 7-7. The home side had the confidence now and kept Kinsale on the back foot. 10 minutes later and they took the lead from a penalty to make it 10-7. 2 minutes later and they increased their lead as a clearing kick from their back line deceived the Kinsale players and was gathered up by the home team to run in their 2nd try. The Conversion made it 17-7. 5 minutes later and Kinsale scored their 2nd try after a good break through the middle from Evan O’Riordan. Ruadhri converted to make it 17-14. The final score of the first half came minutes before half time when Fermoy were playing advantage and spread the ball out left to get over the line. The converted kick made it 24-14 at half time.

Kinsale with the wind to their backs for the 2nd half knew they would need to perform better if they wanted to give themselves a chance in the game. Fermoy also came out a stronger unit after half time and were putting Kinsale under a lot of pressure. After 8 minutes, the home team were reduced to 14 as a player saw yellow for a late tackle. Kinsale penalised them more as Ruadhrí McCarthy kicked the penalty to make it 24-17. 2 minutes later and Fermoy had a chance to increase the margin to 10 again but their failed with their penalty attempt. Kinsale pushed on and kept Fermoy under pressure and the home side were unlucky to be reduced to 13 as another player saw yellow for a high tackle. 2 minutes later and Jordan Wright make it 24-22 when he touched down. Ruadhrí missed the chance to level the game. With both sides back to full strength Kinsale were on the front foot and were playing the better rugby. This was rewarded as Wright went over under the posts for his 2nd try to make it 24-27. Ruadhrí converted to make it 24-29. 3 minutes later and Jack Egan touched down after a couple phases of play off a scrum to make it 24-34. Another conversion for McCarthy made it 24-36. Kinsale were then reduced to 14 as Evan O’Riordan saw yellow for a high tackle. Fermoy took advantage of numbers and stretched Kinsale with a cross field kick to get a try to make it 29-36. The failed conversion and the final whistle minutes later meant Kinsale had won.

Head Coach, Denis “Puppet” Collins, who missed the match due to other commitments responded with “That made my day” upon hearing of the result.