Back To Results
Kinsale : 3 Vs Waterpark RFC : 3
Munster Club U18 Cup - Group 2 ...  Round 2 @ Waterpark RFC on Saturday 12 January 2019

Yesterday Kinsale u18.5s made the two-hour trip to Waterford City to take on Waterpark in the 2nd Round of the Munster Cup. Kinsale headed into this game on the back of a win while the home team had suffered defeat last weekend away to Newcastlewest.

It was a dry fresh morning with Kinsale kicking off with a cold wind to their backs. Kinsale immediately put the home side under pressure and refused to let them out of their own half. Kinsale slowly edged towards the try line with a number of phases of play and despite losing possession on a number of occasions, just came back stronger as they wanted to get the first points on the board. 6 minutes into the game and Kinsale were awarded a penalty and Calum Fennel kicked it over. 3 points to the away team. The home team were the physically stronger team and tried to put pressure on the Kinsale team from the restart but the Kinsale defense held up well. Midway through the first half in this close encounter Waterpark made a change to their forwards in an attempt to get a grasp on the game. Kinsale were the better team in the first half and minutes before the half time whistle after a number of phases of play, Kinsale thought they had crossed the line through Andrew O’Connell but the try was not given as the referee said he lost control of the ball. A minute later and Waterpark kicked the ball into touch to end the half at 3-0 down.

The second half was kicked off by the home side who now had the bitter cold wind to their backs and changed to a kicking game. 3 minutes in after putting pressure on Kinsale they were awarded a penalty just inside the Kinsale half which they kicked to make it three apiece. Kinsale now had to dig in and keep the ball in their hands and on a number of occasions had Waterpark on the back foot with some quick passes to the wings. Meanwhile Waterpark began to use their bench and continued the kicking game making Kinsale turn to run back and gather the ball. It was anybody’s game at this stage. On a number of occasions players from both sides required medical treatment due to the physicality of the game. Despite this the Kinsale management team were happy for their players to continue and didn't use their bench. Waterpark began to put more and more pressure on the Kinsale backs and lost one of their main players through injury with 15 minutes to go. 5 minutes before the end and the home side were reduced to 14 men. Despite this the ball remained in the Kinsale half and minutes later the referee blew for full time. 3 apiece for both teams with Kinsale management being the happier having being the away team.

Rory Marron, one of Kinsale RFC Coaches post-match stated “A tough roll up your sleeves performance by the lads today”.

Michael Wright, another one of the Kinsale RFC coaching team stated "It was a tough game. Our discipline was excellent especially in defense. We were unlucky not to come away with a win but hard work helped us share the points."

Other results in the group saw Old Christians beat Young Munster 20-15 on home turf.

Kinsales next game in the Munster Cup is in two weeks’ time away to Young Munster.