Back To Results
Kinsale : 10 Vs Ballincollig : 14
Munster Club U18 Conference 4 ...  Round 5 @ Ballincollig on Saturday 17 November 2018

Yesterday saw the Kinsale u18.5s travel to Ballincollig in the 5th round of the Munster Club u18 Conference 4 League. Both teams had 2 weeks to prepare for this game with a week off in the league last weekend.


Kinsale had won 4 from 4 while Ballincollig had only suffered one defeat, which was their last outting, away to Skibbereen.


The opening minutes of the game was played at a fast pace as both sides wanted to get the opening score. Some hard tackles were going in from both sides. Kinsale had the home team under pressure and the home team gave away a number of penalties. Kinsale kicked for the corner on one occasion but was unsuccessful from the lineout. On another occassion Kinsale failed to kick into touch for the lineout and the home team restarted from the 22. Despite the early pressure it was the home team that got the first score of the game with a try though the middle after the flyhalf received the ball, saw an opening in the Kinsale defense and used his burst of pace to get through under the posts. That was followed with a successful conversion to make it 7-0. Kinsale regrouped and slowly began to put the pressure back on Ballincollig and got back to 7-3 after Calum Fennel converted a penalty from in front of the posts after 16 minutes. At this stage both sides knew they were in a battle and both sides were susceptible to mistakes due to the pressure of the other side. Close to the half hour mark, Ballincollig were rewarded a scrum 5 metres out and after 5 attempts at the scrum they finally broke through with their 2nd try which was converted to make it 14-3. From the restart Ballincollig were reduced to 14 after a player was penalised for a tip tackle. 4 minutes later and it was 14 v 14 as Darragh Mangan saw yellow for Kinsale. Half time score 14-3 to the home side.


The first points were going to be a huge confidence boost for either team as both teams game out fighting in the second half. 5 minutes in and the home team had the chase to extend their lead however the penalty attempt was missed. With both teams back to 15 there was very little between both sides. The home team were reduced to 14 men once again due to a high tackle after 10 minutes. Both teams began to use their bench as the physical side of the game was beginning to tire players. Kinsale slowly gained confidence and had Ballincollig in their own half more and more. With under 5 minutes left Kinsale were rewarded for their efforts as Faelan Stewart chipped and broke through to touch the ball down to give the away side a chance. Calum Fennel followed it up with a conversion. 14-10 with minutes remaining. Kinsales confidence was growing but they ran out of time and the game ended 14-10 to the home side.


This leaves both teams on 16 points after 5 games, 4 off Skibbereen who got a walk over from Bantry yesterday. with 2 games left.


Post Match Denis "Puppet" Collins was quote saying "We lost that game it the first half with some poor handling errors. They were physically a stronger team who had us under pressure all day at lineouts and in scrums but the lads came back well and deserved to win that second half. If only we had another 5 minutes. Who knows."


Next up for Kinsale will be Skibbereen in Kinsale next weekend. A strong home team support will be required.