Back To Results
Kinsale : 62 Vs Bandon RFC : 5
Munster Club U18 Conference 4 ...  Round 3 @ Bandon on Saturday 27 October 2018

Kinsale u18.5s made the short trip to neighbouring rivals Bandon RFC for their 3rd match of the Munster u18.5s Conference 4 League having had a week’s break last weekend. Kinsale were hoping to continue their form having won their first two while Bandon were hoping to pick up their first points of the campaign. Kinsale saw the return of captain Richie Callanan to the team after a short spell on the side-lines however they were missing a number of other players due to injury.

Kinsale put Bandon under pressure from the off and were rewarded 5 minutes in as Faelan Stewart crossed the line. Callum Fennell stepped up to knock the conversion between the posts to make it 7-0. Just the start Kinsale wanted. From the restart Kinsale had Bandon under pressure again and in an attacking move on the left Conall Gilleran looked like he was going to fumble the ball over his head but got control and crossed the line to make it 12-0 to the travelling team. Fennell failed in the conversion attempt on a blustery day. Despite being behind, Bandon looked to get back into the game but Kinsale were physically strong and Bandon could not cope with the pace and precision of some of Kinsale's play. 15 minutes in and the third try of the game was scored as Cormac Hartnett touched down. This time from the left, it was Jordan Wright who kicked a curling conversion splitting the posts to make it 19-0 to the away side. Kinsale supporters wanted more as one fan could be heard shouting "Come on again Kinsale!!". Kinsale were dominating the game at this time and were building up some great phases of play, with great rucking and quick passing. This was rewarded once again as Kinsale's captain Richie Callanan crossed the line for their 4th try to make it 24-0. From the right Calum Fennells conversion attempt was close but not close enough. It remained 24-0. Kinsales pack worked well as a unit and it was from a scrum in the 31st minute that Faelan Stewart got his second try after Dan Graham took the ball from the back of the scrum, setup Cormac with a neat pass who in turn timed his pass perfect for Faelans run. The coaches were happy with that as it looked like it came from the training ground. Bandon did not let their heads drop and kept trying to breach the Kinsale defence when Jack Egan saw yellow for what was deemed a high tackle on 32 minutes. Within 60 seconds and it was 15 versus 13 as Kinsale's Paddy Desmond also received a yellow for a similar offense. Bandon took advantage as they got in at the corner at the end of the first half. They however failed with their conversion attempt. Halftime score 31-5 to Kinsale.

Bandon kicked off the 2nd half hoping to use their numbers advantage to get more points on the board. However, a resilient Kinsale team worked well and put them on the back foot. Kinsale were soon back to 14 men and piled the pressure on once again by building up the phases of play. Once again, they crossed the line with Dylan Fitzpatrick scoring the try for the first score of the second half. Calum Fennell converted it to make it 38-5. Kinsale were on the front foot and put Bandon under pressure from the off and 3 minutes later they got their 7th try of the day as Cathal Quinn touched down. Calum Fennells conversion attempt went wide. By now Kinsale was back up to full strength and continued to work though phases of play while Bandon were trying to catch them on the counter but Kinsales defence held strong. Next up on the scoresheet was Dan Graham who got over the line despite the efforts of Bandon. Calum Fennell was successful with the conversion attempt to make it 50-5 to the travelling team. 7 minutes later and it was try number 9 as Andrew O'Connell made a great run from halfway inside the Bandon half through their defence to touch down under the posts. Another conversion for Calum Fennell made it 57-5. Kinsale continued to push forward despite the victory in the bag at this stage and it was Andrew O'Connell who scored the final try of the day with 5 minutes left of the clock after some more precision passing from Kinsale. Callum Fennell's attempt went wide to let the score at 62-5. Late in the game Kinsale were rewarded a penalty and after some confusion in calls it was decided to kick and up stepped Jordan Wright whose attempt from close to the half way line was not bad at all, but wasn't enough to split the posts. Final Score 62-5 to Kinsale in a game that they dominated from start to finish.

Post match, Kinsales coaches were very happy with the result and performance with Denis 'Puppet' Collins stating "We did all the basics well, we were physically strong and were ruthless with our finishing."