Back To Results
Kinsale : 8 Vs Clonakility : 3
Munster Club U18 Conference 4 ...  Round 2 @ Snugmore, Kinsale on Saturday 13 October 2018

Kinsale u18.5s hosted Clonakilty in their 2nd league game of the season on a wet day at Snugmore, the home of Kinsale RFC. Kinsale came into this on the back of a narrow win while it was the first competitive game of the season for Clonakilty as they had given a walk over to Skibbereen last weekend. Kinsale dominated territory in the first half and put Clonakilty on the back foot. Clonakilty had the stronger pack on the day and forced Kinsale into playing fast ball from the scrums as they pushed forward. The pressure paid off as they were awarded a penalty after 10 minutes which Evan Wrenne slotted over. From the restart Kinsale were on the front foot again and minutes later Clonakilty were penalised again. Wrenne's kick this time was not successful. Kinsale continued to pile the pressure on and after some good phases of play, Darragh Mangan crossed the line to make it 8-0 to Kinsale. Wrennes conversion attempt from out wide however went wide again. Clonakilty regrouped and started to put some pressure on the Kinsale back line but the home team’s defence held strong. Kinsale lead 8-0 at half time.

The second half was the reverse of the first half with Kinsale being put on the back foot as Clonakilty got a hold of the game. Clonakilty were rewarded for their efforts after 6 minutes when they were awarded a penalty. Up stepped the Clonakilty kicker but put the ball wide of the posts. Clonakilty remained focused and 2 minutes later they had were awarded another kickable penalty. Before the penalty was taken some treatment was given to the referee. This did not distract the Clonakility kicker as he slotted it between the posts. 8-3. Clonakilty continued to push forward and but Kinsales defense held strong as Clonakilty were targetting more points. Kinsale had a few counter attacks during the 2nd half and Louis Murphy looked to be in for a Kinsale try midway through the second half but the referee disallowed it for a double movement. Kinsale were reduced to 14 men for the 2nd week in succession as Denis O’Mahony saw yellow for a high tackle as Clonakility tried to make a quick break away from inside their own half. With a man extra Clonakilty went for the win in the last 10 minutes but a strong defensive display from Kinsale held them out on a number of occasions. With minutes remaining O’Mahony re-entered the game to make it 15 versus 15 again. Kinsales try line was broke right at the end but O’Mahony held Clonakilty’s try attempt up. Final Score 8-3 to Kinsale. There were some strong defensive displays on the pitch from Dan Graham, Faelen Stewart, Andrew O’Connell and Louis Walsh with scrum half Evan Wrenne also putting in a good shift under pressure at the scrums.

Denis Collins post-match comments were “It was a tough encounter but Kinsales strong defensive display saw them through to make it 2 from 2.”