Back To Results
Kinsale : 20 Vs Muskerry : 19
Munster Club U18 Conference 4 ...  Round 1 @ Muskerry on Saturday 6 October 2018

U18.5s kicked off their competitive season today away to Muskerry. Evan Wrenne kicked Kinsale into the lead from a penalty. After 10 minutes Kinsale were dealt a huge blow as their captain Richie Callanan had to leave the field after picking up a bad cut just above his eye. Kinsale fought on without their leader and after some good pressure they were awarded another kickable penalty and Wrenne stepped up again to confidently boot it between the posts. Muskerry regrouped and battled back but the Kinsale defence were strong and put Muskerry on the back foot again. An interception just inside the Kinsale half for Muskerry saw them through for a try which was converted to put Muskerry ahead. Kinsale did not let that affect them though as they put Muskerry on the back foot again and after some great play Kinsale broke through with Falean Stewart getting the try. Wrenne once again showed he brought his kicking boots as he duly converted to make it 13-7 for Kinsale at half time.

The 2nd half was as competitive as the first as both teams tried to get the first score of the second half. Tackles were flying in from both sides. After some more good pressure, quick feet and passing it was Kinsale's Falean Stewart who crossed the line in the corner to make it 7-18. Wrenne kept his 100% kicking record for the day with his toughest kick to split the posts again with the conversion from the side-line on a very windy day to put Kinsale 20-7 ahead. Muskerry didn't let their heads drop though and battled on and managed to cross the line to make it 12-20. The conversion was kicked wide. Muskerry confidence was up as they pushed on and threatened the Kinsale back line again. Kinsale were reduced to 14 as Falean Stewart was sin binned for a tackle which put even more pressure on the strong Kinsale backline. Kinsale coaching team started to use the bench but Muskerry were on the front foot and crossed the line once more with the conversion successful on this occasion. 19-20 and 5 minutes to go. Kinsale were back up to 15 men at this stage but were on the back foot. Muskerry tried and tried to break the Kinsale backline and got to within a couple metres as Kinsale put the ball out and the referee blew up. Kinsale won by the narrowest of margins, 19-20.

Kinsales coach Denis 'Puppet' Collins was asked for a comment post-match to which he replied "Phew". Later he went on to say "It was a good hard game and I'm happy we dug it out".