Update from 20th April
Posted by Kinsale RFC on Tuesday 22 April 2008
An ever improving Kinsale side stepped out against Bandon on Sunday 20th March competing in the quarter finals of the Mc Carthy Cup. While Kinsale kept pressure on they were 3-0 down heading into the second half. In no time there was a try by full back James Lynch putting Kinsale in the lead, Bandon not to be out done came back strong and kicked a penalty putting them back in front. A disallowed penalty kick by Lynch later on rallied the away team resulting in another commendable try from Lynch. Yellow cards to both Bandons Out Half and Hooker left the team weak at times but they defended well. Although a strong side, Kinsale kept Bandon quiet and on full alert for the rest of the game showing great fitness and determination. Great work from the back row Robbie Darmody, William Crowley and Eoin O Callaghan kept Bandon at bay resulting in a 10-6 victory for the deserving Kinsale side and a place in the semi final. Later on in the day Kinsale 1st XV hit the pitch running against League rivals Charleville for the O'Sullivan Cup Semi Final in Snugmore. This was a big game for both sides as Kinsale beat Charleville 9-8 in a nail biting last match of the league final on 02.03.08. A determined Kinsale side played a physical game resulting in a 10-3 lead to Kinsale with a fantastic try by winger Andy Lynch, conversion and penalty kicked by Out-half Fraser Hodgson. A second Kinsale try off a line-out by Shane O'Reagan gave Kinsale a lead of 15-3. In the second half Charleville proved to be a large threat coming back with 2 kicked penalties to 15-9. Charleville applied a lot of pressure and for a while Kinsale looked to be in trouble but they defended well and cleared the lines. Later a counter attack by Colm Mc Carthy second centre broke through several lines of defence but was stopped short and Andy Lynch finished the move with a second try rounding off a fantastic performance giving Kinsale a winning margin. Good pressure from Captain John O'Sullivan, Barry Wright and huge team focus kept Charleville from racking up any more points resulting in a 22-9 win for the home team.