Munster Junior Cup Kinsale V Sundays Well
Posted by Kinsale RFC on Monday 1 February 2010
A brisk bright day greet both teams in the Munster Junior Cup here at Snugmore.The Well coming down to Kinsale having played and won several league fixtures fancied turning the seasiders over on their home patch.Kinsale in the opening stages lost one of their best performers during the season Billy Kiely to an ankle injury and replacement Tadgh Wright coming in not having played anything in over three months should have looked ring rusty but not to be. Tadgh from the moment he came on was a constant thorn in the side of the Well's breakdown ability.The home side settled the quicker and had several opportunities to score but failed due to last minute defense or dropped ball. Finally a score came from an unlikely source,the Wells No.10 went for a crossfield kick but was gathered by the impressive Andrew Lynch who sped away down the touchline pasing to hooker Eddie Farren who was tackled on the 22 metre line, quick ruck and fly half Peter Murphy weaved his way under the posts converting also 7-0. Kinsale then went on a twenty minute offensive where the Well were out played in most facets of the game. Another try was there for the taking and duelly came from excellent approach work from Shane O'Regan and Tadgh Wright. Big Barry McQuaid touching down after a great pick and drive play from the entire pack,again Peter Murphy converting 14-0. On the 28th minute Kinsale gave a away a penalty on their 10 metre line but the Well could not convert their chance. With the close of the 1st half in sight Kinsale got caught for an offside and Tadgh was sin binned, the Well converted. Kinsale in a strong position 14-3 up at the break. The second half and though Kinsale had only 14 players on the pitch, attack was on their minds slicing through their back division Shane O'Halloran linking with the ever green Denis O'Dowd creating scoring opportunities, but due to a mixture of poor handling and defensive covering tackles they didn't materalise. Kinsale did score again when the Wells scrum collasped resulting in Peter Murphy kicking again leaving it 17-3. Andrew Lynch then had to be replaced due to a blood injury and Jason Murphy taking his place on the wing. Kinsale were award a penalty and with their tails up ran the ball which again resulted in Peter Murphy touching down under the post and converting 24-3. Nothing left for the Well or was there?! Two late tries from the away side made the last ten minutes tense for the home side this came due to the home side taking the foot off the gas and various replacements not getting into the intensity quick enough. A sour taste was left when a red card was given to Jason Murphy harsh enough. Final score was 24-15 well done lads. Peter Murphy was excelent on the day and probably deserved the title of man of the match.