Development XV v the Well
Posted by Kinsale RFC on Sunday 21 February 2010
Sunday the 21st Feb 2010. George O’Connell cup Musgrave park. Development XV of Kinsale travelled a short journey to their illustrate counterparts Sunday’s Well team in the George O’Connell Cup. A midday kick off was set and both team seemed to struggle to get teams out. Kinsale squad on the today was at its bare bones Kinsale read D O’Mahony, P Moriarty, J Lynch, starting back three. S Tobin, F Lawton, D O’Connell midfield attack, J Fabrities at nine. The pack read as P Maloney, D O’Brien, D Smith starting front row. C Sheehan and A Murphy in second row, back row read as P McCarthy, B Desmond and R Creswell. Kinsale subs were L Darmody, O Wright, G Walsh and M Frawley. Kinsale elected to play away from the Dolphin end and the Well kicked off into them, the kick off fell short and kinsale were awarded a scrum on half way with No.8 R Creswell taking the ball linking with no.9 Fabrities and setting up a ruck on the Wells ten metre line. Kinsale couldn’t use the quick ball as the Well had hands in the ruck a penalty award which was kicked towards the opposition 22. Unfortunately for Kinsale the Well defended the lineout extremely and contested the four ball sacking our ball carrier and getting the decision from the ref as the ball was adjudged to be held on the deck. The game it’s lacked any structure and ill discipline was all there tom be seen in regards to holding on when tackled niggling challenges after the ball had been released, this mainly coming from the home team. The Well did have a huge front five and also had the ability to interchange these players with even heavier front row players. A try came for the home side midway through the 1st half as a result of Kinsale inability to clear their lines, a lineout gathered at four started the structure for a maul which Kinsale were able to defend, 7-0 with the conversion. Kinsale looked shocked and a little out of their depth lacking in keys areas the experience to settle and regroup. Another try came basically from the exact set piece that cost Kinsale so dear earlier. A lineout to four, down drive and over the line to make it 12-0. Kinsale rallied and were awarded a penalty for players going off their feet, fullback J Lynch converted just in front of the post, 12-3 halftime. Second half Kinsale conceded through a simple line break from an inside pass from the Wells impressive No.10 to his inside centre crossing untouched, 17-3. Kinsale now were in mix with several heads looking towards the dirt pitch they were on. Another try came again down the 10 12 axis 22-3. Kinsale knowing that pride now was at place tried to up the intensity and were awarded a penalty for not rolling away from a tackle, a quick tap by P McCarthy breaking two challenges to offload to D O’Brien to cross 22-8. The Well at this stage had a player sin binned for the illegal use of boot and fist??? Yellow! A try came now nearly from kick off for the Well a sloppy return from Kinsale ended up with a touchline break by No.10 feeding his winger and crossing over making the score 29-8. Kinsale to their credit started to give it a crack and some lovely open field running from D O’Connell and back rowers P McCarthy and L Darmody coming in for the injured B Desmond combining well to get full back James Lynch through a gap and off loading to captain Padraig Maloney to score a fine props try form two yards out. Then with only minutes left L Darmody ripping and going up the short side after a tackle was made inside the Wells 22 scoring under the posts making it 29-22 final score. Kinsale showed they could move up a few gears but it takes a bit of time yes the Well reduced their work rate but Kinsale did play well in the last 30 minutes alot of work on the paddock is a must but they realise this. So a bad result a bad 1st half but promising none the less.